General Conference Classics – President George Albert Smith

President George Albert Smith, speaking as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve in General Conference, April 1906, discussed his visit to Cumorah.

“We visited the Hill Cumorah and were accorded the courtesy of going thereon by the wife of Mr. George Sampson, a brother of Admiral Wm. Sampson, who before his death owned the property. When we went up there and looked around, we felt that we were standing on holy ground. The brethren located, as near as they thought was possible, the place from which the plates of the Book of Mormon were taken by the Prophet. We were delighted to be there. Looking over the surrounding country we remembered that two great races of people had wound up their existence in the vicinity, had fought their last fight, and that hundreds of thousands had been slain within sight of that hill. Evidence of the great battles that have been fought there in days gone by are manifest in the numerous spear and arrow-heads that have been found by farmers while plowing in that neighborhood. We were fortunate enough to obtain a few of the arrowheads.” (George Albert Smith, Conference Report, April 1906, Third Day—Morning Session p. 56).
https://archive.org/stream/conferencereport1906a#page/n57/mode/2up

As readers here know, lots of war implements have been found on and near Cumorah.

President Smith’s address was published in the Deseret News on June 30, 1906, here:

https://www.newspapers.com/image/76291582/



___________________

Source: Book of Mormon Wars

(Visited 6 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *